Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Knitting While Listening


I've thoroughly enjoyed the course I listened to on the founding of the United States. I got the 6 cd set and booklet at the Putnam County Library sale. It's one of The Great Courses. I had high expectations and it did not disappoint.

Professor Robinson was engaging and his slight British accent was easy to listen to. It was a pleasure to just listen and not frantically take notes, as was my way during college and law school. He has his favorite figures in America's history, James Madison, Thomas Paine and Alexander Hamilton definitely edged out Benjamin Franklin. He stresses the importance of time and place, the global tensions around the world and the importance of the French Revolution and the Scottish Enlightenment and its thinkers. Putting history in context makes so much more sense to me than a dry list of dates and times. History is about life, not about bare facts. I want to listen to it again. I got a lot of knitting done and enjoyed it so much that I want to re-listen and hear what I undoubtedly missed the first time around. Five stars for this little$1.00 gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment