Thursday, November 19, 2015

Hot Mess Headband Knitting


Right now I'm on my third rendition of this Hot Mess Headband (the link will take you to the Ravelry page) a free pattern from EweEwe.  I like it because it's simple, stretchy, has some style and can be knit in a variety of yarn and still look fabulous.


The November weather is all over the place, warm one day-almost 80F, and mid twenties a few days later.  I've got handknitted accessories in nearly every weight but find myself reaching over and over again for headbands.  Headbands are incredibly useful items, holding back your hair and keeping your ears warm, while not causing me to overheat.  They are small and easily stowed in a pocket or bag and take only a short while to knit.  Or a long while if you keep thinking about knitting them, but don't actually spend any time knitting.  If I knit as often as I think about knitting, I'd drown in the sea of handknitting I'd created. 
I made a few headbands a couple of years ago, when they once again hit the winter fashion scene, I've made three versions of this Ribbed Headband omitting the crocheted flower.  I like the ability to button it in place and I get to use an interesting button.


For variety, I decided to see what other patterns appealed so I spent a lot of time on Ravelry looking for headband patterns and bookmarked a bunch to revisit later.  Seems headbands are still popular.



So far I've made it in a light green heavy worsted wool and also a dark grey cashmere, silk, wool and acrylic blend of reclaimed yarns held together to achieve an aran weight.  I've got recycled red cashmere on the needles now.  My only modification for the first two was to cast on 18 stitches rather than 22 stitches, to make a more narrow width. 


I'm also working on Julia's Cabled Headband in a worsted rust colored wool that I recycled from a commercial sweater.  I've only just started it, but am already wishing there was a chart available, I may have to create my own. 







No comments:

Post a Comment